coldy

Engine Failure following J2 recall

Posted (edited)

I searched the forum but couldn't find anyone else discussing this here but my 2013 FRS died today following work done after the J02 recall. It's been about a month since the work was completed.

I was cruising on the highway and heard some pretty subtle engine knocking, about 10 minutes later some rough knocking and then the car shutdown completely while still rolling. 

Has anyone else had this happen? 

I saw on this thread that someone from Pointe-Claire had a similar issue.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3188530

You can reply in French, I'm perfectly bilingual, it's just easier to type in English.

Cheers!

Edited by coldy

On en parlait justement dans le topic du rappel. Ça ssemble être un problème un peu trop commun avec ce rappel. 

Est-ce que le concessionnaire accepte de payer la totalité du bris ? 

Posted (edited)

This just happened Friday morning. It was brought to Carrefour 40-640 Toyota since it was right across the highway from where I broke down. The dealership called me 4 hours after I dropped it off to advise me that there is a serious engine problem. Then they offered to give me a loaner car (2018 Corolla).

I'll know more on Monday when the dealer opens up the engine to determine the cause.

I got in contact with someone else who has had their car at Toyota Spinelli Pointe-Claire and its been sitting there for two weeks awaiting a final assessment on what's going to happen.

Edited by coldy

il y a une heure, coldy a dit :

This just happened Friday morning. It was brought to Carrefour 40-640 Toyota since it was right across the highway from where I broke down. The dealership called me 4 hours after I dropped it off to advise me that there is a serious engine problem. Then they offered to give me a loaner car (2018 Corolla).

I'll know more on Monday when the dealer opens up the engine to determine the cause.

I got in contact with someone else who has had their car at Toyota Spinelli Pointe-Claire and its been sitting there for two weeks awaiting a final assessment on what's going to happen.

I wish you the best and i hope that the dealership will give all the help and support to repair your car on the warranty...:classic_smile:

Keep us informed :classic_wink:

Posted (edited)

I went to take pictures and videos today since they partially took apart the engine.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNNjO2elJbixMiF4kgrXx1h73WvyBpaTh2tG71OcjevBhwpn8QfMQ8_Q950LPBxYQ?key=YWREV2hrbHo1cWs5S0owM2R3Qm9YWmh2MXQ0OW9n

I called corporate and they're now investigating. The dealer has been informed to not touch the engine anymore since while I was there I spotted the black sealant in the oil filter (first picture). The mechanic on the car then went and knocked the pieces out to show that there was also metal fragments. However, those black strands are rubber sealant that have been shown to clog the oil intake.

Edited by coldy

Ohh that poor strainer.

Another missed sealant job there.

Posted (edited)

OMG!  for sure there is to much sealant on the inside edge of the cover.

I think that a piece of the sealant blocked the oil in a specific area and it caused the metal fragments :classic_angry: 

Nice pics ! :classic_love:

Edited by BR-S

And this is why I recommend, if your car is running fine, and has been running fine for 5 years, do not do the recall, you can and will only make matters worse.

Merci d'avoir pris la peine de documenter. J'espère que le concessionnaire ne t'a pas donner d'ennui pcq tu prenais des photos ou filmais. 

Si tu as l'occasion, pourrais-tu demander combien de temps le travail du rappel est garantie? Est-ce qu'il garantisse le travail 1 an 20000km?

If you have the occasion, can you ask the dealer if there is any warranty on the valve job? 1 year 20000km?

Merci/Thanks!

Posted (edited)

The dealer, being Carrefour 40-640, said the work was done correctly. I disagree based on the sealant job and the fact that the oil filter was clogged.

However, the dealer that did the work is Park Avenue Toyota.

So now I'm just dealing with Toyota directly to make a final determination. Since the engine shut down on the highway they take that as a serious risk, hence why I took all the pictures to send to them. The dealer was hardly of any help in documenting what they saw as they took apart the engine. Essentially, if this happens to you, call Toyota and they will decide what happens BEFORE the dealer touches your car.

I don't know any dealer that wants to foot the bill for the damage their work may have done.

Edited by coldy

WTF! Comment le dealer peut-il affirmer que le rappel a été bien fait?! On voit clairement le scellant qui dépasse en dedans. Et même le scellant qui reste sur le couvercle, on voit qu'il va finir par se détacher et contaminer le moteur en dedans. C'est comme le nez dans la face! Tu fais bien de parler directement à Toyota Canada. 

J'ai lu les instructions du rappel et c'est clairement indiqué de ne pas faire ce qui a été fait. C'est clairement écrit comment appliquer le scellant à plusieurs endroits dans le document.

Tu pourrais demander d'abord au dealer le nom du technicien si il n'est pas écrit sur le reçu. Ensuite, demande au dealer de voir les certifications du technicien qui a fait le rappel. Première page du document...

"The repair quality of covered vehicles is extremely important to Toyota. All dealership technicians performing this recall are required to successfully complete the most current version of the E-Learning course “Safety Recall and Service Campaign Essentials”. To ensure that all vehicles have the repair performed correctly; technicians performing this recall repair are required to currently hold at least one of the following certification levels:
• Expert Technician (Engine)
• Master Technician
• Master Diagnostic Technician
It is the dealership’s responsibility to select technicians with the above certification level or greater to perform this recall repair. Carefully review your resources, the technician skill level, and ability before assigning technicians to this repair. It is important to consider technician days off and vacation schedules to ensure there are properly trained technicians available to perform this repair at all times"

If this job is well done, also the earth is flat. Very flat.

image.thumb.png.ca9bec1e3148d15c93a029180ecf58b5.png

HAhahahahahahahahhaaha esti de crosseurs de Toyota.

Tien ton bout, appel Toyota Canada en disant que tu rentre les avocats la dedans, ils devraient se plier.

The HUGE issue is that some dealers want to do the job fast and claim all the $$$ from  SUBARU CANADA or TOYOTA without really care about the customers.:classic_rolleyes:

All the storys that are coming out are nightmares :classic_wacko:

I hope that SUBARU & TOYOTA CANADA will take all this seriously and review the way that the jobs are done.

Update on my situation...

Following three weeks of investigation by Toyota Corporate, I'm getting a new short block! Most of the parts are backordered, but at least I don't have to pay for anything.

w00t w00t

Excellente nouvelle! C'est plate d'avoir eu à subir les conneries du dealer mais au moins ça va bien finir.